I am excited to feature Mary of Mackinson Dairy Farm with all of you. Mary is an amazing advocate for the dairy industry.
- What is the name of your farm? Mackinson Dairy Farm
- When was your farm established? Mackinson Dairy Farm began 150 years ago with a handful of cows and 161 acres of land. My great-great grandfather, Daniel Mackinson was the original owner. Today our family continues to live and farm those same original acres along with roughly 1,500 more. The dairy has grown to include about 150 milking cows and over 140 head of heifers and calves.
- What generation are you? I am the 5th generation which would make our children the 6th.
- Where is your farm located? We are located 5 miles north of Pontiac, Illinois and about 100 miles south of Chicago on Interstate 55. If you are ever traveling on Interstate 55, we are located at mile-marker 203.
- How many cows are you milking and total herd size? The dairy includes 150 milking cows and over 140 head of heifers and calves. The breeds of dairy cattle represented on Mackinson Dairy include Holstein, Ayrshire, Milking Shorthorn and Brown Swiss
- What are you thankful for in regards to your dairy farm or the dairy industry AND why?
We are thankful to have the opportunity to be the caretakers of our animals and land and to have the opportunity to provide, you, the consumer with a safe, high quality and nutrient rich product. Everyone at Mackinson Dairy takes their job very seriously. The primary team of Donald, Roy, Matt and Dan begin their days long before sunrise before calling it a day after the stars come out.
We are thankful to be a part of the dairy industry. You’re not going to find a better group of people. Everyone you meet is incredible passionate about what they do. Being involved with the dairy industry is the most rewarding things you will ever do and we love it!